- ¼ cup of blended almonds
- ¼ cup of blended walnuts
- 10-15 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 15-20 salted pretzels
- ½ cup of shredded coconut flakes
1. Blend almonds and walnuts in a food processor until ground. You don’t want them to be dust, you want to keep some texture, so don’t over blend.
2. Add in dates, coconut oil, and shredded coconut flakes. Blend until the mixture becomes sticky. Add more dates if it is not sticky enough. The mixture should be able to roll up into balls easily.
3. Create balls by rolling about 1 tbsp of mixture between your hands. To keep your hands from getting too sticky, wet your hands slightly. Press the balls onto a pretzel and then coat again with shredded coconut flakes. This can be done easily by pouring the coconut flakes into a bowl or onto a plate, and then simply rolling the balls into the flakes.
4. Place the finished date-pretzel-balls onto a plate together and place in fridge. When they cool, the coconut oil hardens and makes it a more cohesive treat. Feel free to quality test a few before you put them in the fridge though.
Zero Waste Tip: All of these ingredients can often be found in bulk either at a standard grocery store or at an organic shop. So, bring your produce bags and fill up! Also, when buying coconut oil, try and buy it in a jar instead of in plastic. Glass is 100% recyclable (although water intensive to recycle) and can be used over and over, unlike its counter-part, plastic. When plastic gets recycled it must be downgraded to a worse and weaker plastic, meaning plastic only ever gets recycled once (if it’s lucky!).
Share your creation!